Promposals: Cute or Overrated?

What’s one of the most anticipated aspects of prom? Promposals. These promposals are an elaborately staged request to be someone’s date at a prom. Whether it’s a sign with flowers or the word “prom?” written on food, there are many opinions on whether or not these requests are “too much” or “just right”. The Eagle’s Cry asked BHS their thoughts on this debate.

Although public promposals can be sweet they also come with the possibility of a public rjection. Asking someone to be your date in private avoids this which is why many people choose this alternative over asking in front of many people.

Senior Joy Kim “[thinks] they are really cute and only something you can do in high school so why not.” 

Junior Katie O’Callaghan agrees with Joy in the fact that promposals are cute “as long as they’re not too much.” Many people agree with this statement because at a certain point promposals can become “corny” and “extra”

Senior James Mertz feels differently about promposals than Joy and Katie. He feels that “not many people care about your relationships so stop throwing it in our faces.” Mertz does NOT think promposals are necessary at all. 

Overall there is not one ubiquitous answer as to whether or not promposals are considered cute or overrated.