BHS Discusses: Bringing Light to Neglected Sports

With the new sports season comes new topics of broadcast on the school’s social media and BHS News. However, there’s always going to be certain sports that steal the spotlight, and certain ones that don’t. But that isn’t to say that those players don’t put in any effort into their sport, on the contrary, they actually put a lot of effort into them. So why is it they don’t get recognition? 

To start off, it isn’t BHS News’ fault; they don’t announce anything that wasn’t told to them by coaches. But why do–or in this case don’t–some coaches report their teams’ highlights?

Ms. Flanagan, a six-year veteran track coach, is one who submits her team’s highlights. “We like to highlight students’ personal bests throughout the season by submitting results to BHS News,” Ms. Flanagan said. “I think it’s a good idea to publicize game results when teams are winning and excelling in their respective seasons.”

However, three-year JV badminton coach Mr. Como doesn’t submit the highlights. “I don’t submit for JV badminton because the BHS News only publicize varsity sports results, to the best of my knowledge…I always think it’s good to publicize results because I always think it’s good to show the results of the kids work, and their hard work, and it’s nice to get your name mentioned.”

Mystery solved. But why doesn’t BHS News produce junior varsity highlights? According to BHS News Director Mr. Malossi, “There’s only enough time in the BHS News for varsity. So we value JV contributions, but it’s a time issue. However, we always welcome more varsity coaches to submit highlights.”