Year 2: Bethpage Girls Varsity Flag Football

In 2023, Bethpage High School began their girls varsity flag football program. Now, it’s year two, and as Coach Shanahan puts it, the team is getting “better every day.”

The team is once again led by Coach Shanahan and Coach Agovino. Both the team and the coach’s constantly put their dedication and hard work into each and every single practice. Not to mention the extremely dedicated managers, juniors Taei Son and Charlotte Cagna. 

With just 4 non-league games played, the team is beyond excited to showcase their new talent to their actual league games.

*The Eagles won their first league game 31-0 against Lynbrook! What a way to begin the season!

The Eagle’s Cry interviewed some students on their upcoming season:

Junior Madison Szillus is a new player on the team. Madison exclaimed that she loves flag football “so much and [she’s] sad that [she] didn’t play last year.” She later went on to say that “the team is so sweet and it’s really just a fun sport.”

Returning player, junior Nadia Castillo said that “we have a lot of talent this year and we just gotta show it on and off the field.” She also added that she “love[s] this team and [she] has a good feeling about us making it far” in the postseason.

One of our managers, junior Charlotte Cagna said, “it’s such a great opportunity for the girls and I love getting to be a part of it even without playing.”

Our other manager, junior Taei Son said, “I’m really excited about this season and so happy to be a part of the team to help.”

Junior Giselle D’Aleo played shortly last season but not this season. Giselle said, “If I had more time for homework and dance,  I’d definitely try out for the team. In my short time being on the team I had the best time and the sport is genuinely so much fun.”

An anonymous girl on the team said, “I love this team so much. It’s so rewarding to see everyone’s work from the preseason barn practices, to tryouts, to now start to show. The coaches, managers, and team as a whole really make this sport even better.”

Senior, Marisa Cacciuttolo, returning member started off by saying that she’s “so excited for the new season” and that she “can’t wait to win some more games.”

Junior Franny Maffucci said, “teamwork means always having each other on our side and with this team we can always count on each other for success.” Franny also helps record games for film and gets the team hype for games.

Captain Ava Thomaidis said, “As a senior, I wish I had more time on the team and it’s only my second year with this new program. I look forward to seeing how much we achieve in the next few years and I believe in every single person on the team!” 

Junior Gabby Canciani kept it short and sweet by saying Flag Football is “the bomb.com.” 

Senior Kathleen Krummenacker said “I’m excited for the rest of our season, we have a great team this year and I think our trick plays will get us into the end zone.”

Junior Kylie Ceiten is beginning her first season on the team. Kylie said “I love playing flag [football]  because it’s something different because I’ve always wanted to play football when I was younger but I wasn’t able to so I’m grateful that [Coach] Shanahan and Agovino are giving us the opportunity to play.”

Senior Eva Panagos is in her first year of Flag Football. Eva said “I love how supportive and enthusiastic the team gets when we play at games. I feel like everyone on the team is really nice to each other and we all get along very well.”

Make sure to support the Golden Eagles at their next home game, at BHS against West Hempstead @5pm.