SIDEBAR: A Letter from Ms. Marathe to BHS

Written By Ms. Arati Marathe, the advisor of Global Cultural Club. 

What does GCC mean to me and the work we’ve done so far?

The GCC is near and dear to my heart. Those who know me know that I am passionate about other cultures and languages. This has been a familial love passed down to me by my father and grandfather. When I was approached by Devaanshi Kawatra (our club president), I was over the moon.Within the last three years we’ve been able to significantly increase exposure to and inclusivity of the many varied backgrounds of Bethpage. We’ve incorporated Lunar New Year, Diwali, Eid, Vaisakhi/Holi, Chuseok (Korean) Harvest Festival, and Latin American Heritage. 

Most recently we celebrated Iftar (another first at BHS).We are constantly looking to expand our cultural horizons. At the beginning of each event students put together a presentation explaining its significance and other cultural aspects. Additionally, we make sure to include charitable events. We helped raise money for Ukraine last year, and this year during Iftar we created 236 care kits for those in need. These were distributed to local charities.

We are an all-inclusive group. Our activities are open to all Bethpage H.S. students, families, and faculty. We primarily raise funds via bake sales. The bake sales always include many ethnic items to allow our student body to try different things and to expand their palate. All ingredients are listed, and we’ve had great success with this.

The GCC does not charge anyone a fee for cultural events. This means the activities, supplies, and food are fully funded by us. We normally have upwards of 50-70 participants regularly. Our members collectively contribute to their success, with our President, VP (Saif Khalfan) and Photographer/Videographer (Fabiha Nashrah) at the helm. Our hopes and goal for The GCC is that we continue to thrive for future generations of Bethpagians.

Arati K Marathe

Global Cultural Club Advisor