BHS Celebrates: Groundhog’s Day!

This past Friday, February 2nd was not a normal day. That day was the one and only Groundhog’s Day, and in case you do not know, the Groundhog determines whether Spring is coming soon or if there will be six more weeks of winter. If the groundhog sees its shadow that means there are six more weeks of winter and if it does not see its shadow Spring is coming. This year, Mayor Eric Adams held up the Groundhog, Punxsutawney Phil, of New York at 5:15 a.m. and pronounced Spring is coming as he did not see his shadow. He did this successfully, unlike Mayor de Blasio who dropped the Groundhog 10 years ago in 2014 and killed the Groundhog. 

There is now a current debate about whether or not the Groundhog is real and accurately predicts what will happen for the future of the seasons. Let’s take a look at what Bethpage students think. I asked three students if they thought the Groundhog was real, if he can accurately predict the future and what they think about the Groundhog. 

To start off, Junior Lauren Kelly said “Yes I think the Groundhog is real. I don’t know if he can accurately predict it but I do love watching it.” 

Next off Senior James Mertz had some strong opinions against the Groundhog. He said “I think it is stupid, it is out of date. I think it makes us look unintelligent compared to other countries.”

Last off, Senior Joy Kim had some nice things to say about our Groundhog. She said “I think it gives the American People something to dream about or hope while we suffer and endure this horrible Winter.” 

So there you have it, the story of the Groundhog, this year’s results, and Bethpage students’ opinions on the Groundhog. Let’s see if the Groundhog’s prediction is correct this year!