NFL PREDICTIONS WITH ACKERLY & MERTZ: WEEK ONE

The Eagles Cry…did you miss us? That’s right, the big man Mr.Malossi has renewed myself (Robbie Ackerly) and James Mertz, allowing us once again to give you our weekly NFL predictions. Last year we started late and didn’t even finish all the way through, however last year was more of a test run and this year we are ready for week one and are hitting the ground running. Just like all of you reading we are so pumped for the NFL season, so without further ado welcome to the 2023-24 iteration of NFL Predictions with Ackerly and Mertz. 

Mertz, you are up first. 

Mertz’s Lock Of The Week

The Denver Broncos were one of the most disappointing teams in all of football. From head coach Nathaniel Hackett failing at every turn to former Super Bowl winning QB falling off a cliff it was an unmitigated disaster. But Sean Payton is there now and he’s talked a lot of smack about how bad things were run in the last regime and how he’s gonna turn it around. This is a must win game if the Broncos want fans to buy back in. At home vs division rival and a former coach in the Raiders and Josh Mcdaniels, Denver will take care of business in the season opener. 

Denver Broncos def. Las Vegas Raiders

Mertz’s Upset Alert!

First upset alert of the new season, I must start it off with the boldest prediction. The Houston Texans had an off-season that has fans very excited about this year. From drafting who should be their franchise QB in CJ Stroud and what could be the anchor of their defense in Will Anderson there is optimism for Democo Ryans’ team. I expect them to come out with a bang and shock the world and win outright as 10 point underdogs vs the new look Baltimore Ravens. 

Houston Texans def. Baltimore Ravens

The Rest Of Mertz’s Picks

Kansas City Chiefs def. Detroit Lions

Atlanta Falcons def. Carolina Panthers

Cincinnati Bengals def. Cleveland Browns

San Francisco 49ers def. Pittsburgh Steelers

Washington Commanders def. Arizona Cardinals

Tampa Bay Buccaneers def. Minnesota Vikings

Jacksonville Jaguars def. Indianapolis Colts

Tennessee Titans def. New Orleans Saints

New England Patriots def. Philadelphia Eagles

Miami Dolphins def. Los Angeles Chargers

Seattle Seahawks def. Los Angeles Rams

Green Bay Packers def. Chicago Bears

New York Giants def. Dallas Cowboys

Buffalo Bills def. New York Jets

Thanks Mertz, now it’s my turn.

Ackerly’s Lock Of The Week

I guess Mertz has not really woken up. Maybe the Texans in 2018 could defeat the Baltimore Ravens, but on Sunday I’d say there isn’t a chance in blue hell that C.J. Stroud’s debut is a success. I think this one gets really ugly, a young quarterback—especially in his NFL debut—vs a tough defense is a recipe for disaster and I wouldn’t be surprised if the Ravens defense finds their way into the endzone once or maybe even twice. No contest on Sunday.

Baltimore Ravens def. Houston Texans 

Ackerly’s Upset Alert!

The 49ers last season were impressive amidst a series of quarterback woes that left Brock Purdy at the helm. Purdy looked great—especially for a seventh round pick—and head coach Kyle Shannahan decided that he will be the man once again this season. Personally, I think Purdy’s campaign last season was a sham and I highly doubt that this Mr.Irrelevant’s success story continues. The Pittsburgh Steelers are a team I find very underrated this season, with blossoming quarterback Kenny Pickett and future superstar wide receiver George Pickens, I think this team has the opportunity to make some noise. This Sunday is a chance with the Steelers to show what they can do, and I think they defeat a—dare I say—overrated San Francisco 49ers football team.

Pittsburgh Steelers def. San Francisco 49ers 

The Rest Of Ackerly’s Picks

Kansas City Chiefs def. Detroit Lions

Minnesota Vikings def. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Atlanta Falcons def. Carolina Panthers

Las Vegas Raiders def. Denver Broncos 

Cleveland Browns def. Cincinnati Bengals 

New Orleans Saints def. Tennessee Titans 

Philadelphia Eagles def. New England Patriots 

Los Angeles Chargers def. Miami Dolphins

Seattle Seahawks def. Los Angeles Rams

Green Bay Packers def. Chicago Bears

New York Giants def. Dallas Cowboys

New York Jets def. Buffalo BIlls 

And just like that the first week of predictions are in the books. What do you think? Leave who you think made better picks in the comments and as always feel free to make your own predictions in the comments as well. See you all next week.