Movie Review: Last Letter From Your Lover

In 2021, the film The Last Letter From Your Lover, was released on Netflix. The film isn’t a super well known one, but seemed to be enjoyed by those who did watch it. It follows an intriguing plot line and switches from past and present through scenes. The film is filled with passion, love and confessions that come from the deepest part of one’s heart. It brings vibes from long ago and is overflowing with emotions. Teacher Mr. Malossi says “I hadn’t heard of that movie, but the way you made it sound, I put it in my queue”, after the plot was shared with him.

In present time, a journalist who works for the London Chronicle discovers letters from a 1960s love affair. The affair started as the pair met when Anthony O’hare (journalist for the London chronicle)  was writing a piece on Mr. Sterling, Jennifer Sterling’s husband. The two start off on the wrong foot, but they eventually form a friendship. They spend their spare hours with one another, eventually the two catch feelings. Their affair is captured through the love letters they would write to each other. They would confess their love and inform one another on when they can meet as well as just saying they are looking forward to when they can be together again. As it goes in every love story, they cannot be together. Mrs. Sterling is finally ready to leave her husband, whom she doesn’t love and realize she never will, because her heart belongs to Mr. O’hare. Of course, life happens and they cannot be together, she gets in an accident and she loses her memory. Over time as she comes home she remembers more and more from her past, as she finds old letters between her and Mr. O’hare. She comes to realize her husband knows about the letters and she asks him what they’re about, he proceeds to tell her that Mr. O’hare is no longer alive. She later finds him and is reminded of the love they once shared, but she explains they cannot be together because she has a daughter now. She regrets her choice and goes to look for him yet he is gone, respecting her choice. 

In the present, journalist Ellie Haworth finds all these letters between the two. Once she finds the first, she does not stop until she finds as many as she can. She does this so she can piece together the story of what truly happened. As she uncovers this love story, she begins to catch feelings for Rory, who is helping her with her research. Eventually after Ellie figures out the story she finds Jennifer and attempts to bring the pair back together.

The film captures the beauty of hope, hope that what’s meant to find each other will and hope that love will be found when you least expect it. It shows the power love can have over someone, it shows the complexity of love. It will make you cry, it will make you smile. It carries the power of a good movie.