BHS Recaps: Winter Track Highlights

BHS Recaps: Winter Track Highlights

The general track season is coming to an end as only select athletes are moving forward to Counties on February 6th. Here we are going to review what has happened so far. 

Girls Top Sprinters: Gianna Gravelli (Junior), Catherine Taffee (Sophomore), Marissa Nuzzi (Senior), Gianna Rossini (Senior), Daniella Palmeri (Sophomore) 

Boys Top Sprinters: Lion Jang (Sophomore), Alex Jacob (Senior), Thomas Smith (Sophomore), Nick Morgan (Senior), Bradley Selwin (Junior), Jaideep Barba (Senior)

Girls Top Distance: Joy Kim (Senior), Grace Miller (Sophomore), Devyn Sparke (Senior), Emma Sheahan (8th Grade), Carolina Cagna (Freshman)

Boys Top Distance: Daniel Dizurka (Sophomore), Matthew An (Freshman), Michael Sheahan (Junior), Declan McMorrow (Sophomore), Rysard Porcelli (Senior)

There were four St. Anthony’s meets this season that took place during the week and two invitationals that took place on December 9th, 2023 and December 23rd, 2023—two Saturdays. The first invitational took place at Ocean Breeze, this one was called the Nassau Coaches’ Invitational. The second occurred at the Armory for the North Shore Invitational. On Sunday 11/14 the team headed to the Stanner Games. 

Soon after Conferences occurred at St Anthony’s on January 19th and on February 6th even fewer will move on to Counties.

Now let’s get the opinions of how the season went from some of our top athletes!

One athlete, senior Joy Kim, set the school record for the 1600m with a time of 5:59 at the Staner Games. Here is how she felt about the race beforehand: 

“Leading up to it the night before I was really nervous. The coaches had an expectation for me to run a certain time and I didn’t really have the confidence in myself until right before the race and after talking to the coaches. It’s good having other people believe in you so I used that during the race to get the school record.”

Another athlete, junior Gianna Gravelli gave her input and thoughts on this season.

“Overall, this was a great season where I did my best and pushed myself really hard and it was the first winter track season I made it to conferences which was pretty cool.” 

Some notable performances at Conferences:

Grace Miller, Conference Champion in the 1500

Nick Morgan, 5th in the 300

Alex Jacob, 5th in 55 Hurdles

Thomas Smith, Lion Jang, Michael Nicki and Nick Morgan, 2nd in 4×200

Jordan Martinez, 3rd in High Jump

Devyn Sparke, 4th in the 600

Joy Kim, Devyn Sparke, Grace Miller, Kaitlyn Ocuto, 2nd in 4×800

Good luck to all those moving on to Counties!