Golden Eagles Represented at JONES BEACH BREAST CANCER WALK

On October 13, 2023, at Jones Beach, about 65,000 people took part in the pinked-out walk against breast cancer. Survivors, supporters, students, and many more came out to show their love for all of those fighting their own battles. 

A little about Breast cancer

Aside from skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common cancer in women. About 1 in 8 women in the United States will be diagnosed within their lifetime, which makes up about 13% of the population. Although many falsely believe that men cannot get breast cancer, about one in 833 men will develop breast cancer during their lifetime. Despite the fact that this only takes up less than 1% of all diagnoses, it is still possible.

A survivor’s point of view 

The major focus of the walk is to show support for those with breast cancer, but do you ever wonder how much of an impact this support can have on those who have been directly affected by this cancer? One breast cancer survivor, Jennifer Kelly, describes her experience as “truly inspirational.” Kelly exclaims that “having my family and friends there and all through this difficult journey has been instrumental in helping me make it this far.” Even if it seems unimportant to some, a little support can go a long way.

BHS on the walk

Everyone at Bethpage High is an avid supporter of breast cancer and the causes that go with it. Games such as Volley for the Cure from the BHS volleyball teams and members of the kickline team wearing pink bows all throughout the month of October show how much BHS comes together during this month. Every year, the girls varsity kickline team participates in the Jones Beach breast cancer walk. One junior on the team, Katie O’Callaghan, feels that “it is a great tradition for a great cause.” By supporting the cause every single year, Bethpage High School continues to aid in donations and the time that goes into curing breast cancer.