The Eagle Recaps: 2022-2023 Science Research

The Bethpage Science Research Program has had one of its most successful years this past 2022-2023 school year. We have ranged from students winning and placing at the prestigious Long Island Science and Engineering fair to winning multiple research grants to fund their innovative research projects.

The science research program was first founded by the current Director of Science Mr. Pollatos. He taught the course for multiple years until Mrs. Dulaney recently took over the program in 2021. The class consists of requiring students to develop a research topic and to expand on that topic through experimentation or engineering; after experimentation, students prepare to present their findings at science fairs and competitions or at our school’s annual symposium. Throughout this process, students acquire organization skills and time management skills to prepare themselves for success. 

This past school year (2022-2023), most science fairs and events switched back from virtual to in person. Six student projects were able to advance to the in-person round two at the Long Island and Science and Engineering Fair; this is our regional fair that can earn students the bid to compete at the International Science and Engineering Fair with the top projects from all around the world. We had multiple projects win awards from Honorable Mention to being recipients of an award from the office of Naval Research. The group of juniors, Joy, Sofia, and Riya, won in their category of Environmental Engineering; their project consisted of Developing a Hydroponic System with the Incorporation of an Arduino Uno Powered pH sensor and with this project, they competed in ISEF which was held in Dallas, Texas. When asking Sofia Maciel-Seidman what her experience was like at ISEF, she stated, “ISEF was one of the best experiences of my life. I was able to meet new people with similar interests from all over the world. It was truly incredible to see students from all over the world with a common passion for science come together at such an event.”

Additionally, we had four projects advance as regional semi-finalists to compete against other students from Long Island and the metropolitan area at the Junior Science and Humanities Symposium. Juniors Miraj, Joy, Riya, Sofia, sophomore Devanshi, and senior Umesh presented their research to a panel of judges. We also had a lot of success this year at LISC with four freshmen projects winning honors in their respective division. Multiple Bethpage students won a total amount of $1700 in grant money last year in a variety of research grant opportunities including SAWAA and NYIT. 

According to Mrs. Dulaney, we have 75 freshmen enrolled in  Research 1 this year which is a “54% increase from last year’s enrollment.” In addition, the school has provided us with a new STEM room that is filled with opportunities for students to work on and expand on their projects with new technology. Mrs. Dulaney also added, “This year I hope to continue strengthening the Science Research Community through events such as STEMsgiving, the Science Research Alumni Panel, and the Science Research Symposium…I am extremely excited for our Research 1 students to learn the research process through our first quarter Renewable Energy Project. We have students with a wide array of interests ranging from engineering, biology, earth science, and computer science, and I am thrilled to see each student find a path that best suits their interests.”