How the NFL Can Fix the Pro Bowl

All 4 major North-American sports showcase their respective league’s top stars in an annual All Star Game. It’s a great way for the leagues to show off the cream of the crop talents and personalities and is usually a wild success with fans. Well all except the NFL’s Pro Bowl. Unlike the other All Star games, the Pro Bowl is despised among football fans.  First of all, in all star games, players don’t exactly show the most effort due to the fact that it is an exhibition game. But, a football game with a lack of effort is far less entertaining than a baseball, hockey, or basketball one leading to a dip in entertainment value. Mixing that in with the fact the exhibition game is sandwiched between the league’s two biggest weeks of the year makes the Pro Bowl an utter disaster on an annual basis. But I know how to fix it.

First off, move the game to the Summer. As of right now, the game sits between the Conference championship week and Super Bowl week. Which simply makes no sense considering they expect fans after 21 Sundays of meaningful football to sit down and watch an exhibition game with some of the league’s best missing because they’re getting ready for the Super Bowl. Instead scheduling the game in the summer will certainly attract viewers due to it quenching America’s never ending thirst for more football and it’s in the season where that thirst is at its height. Next, make it a real tackle football game. A couple years ago the league switched to a 7v7 flag football for the Pro Bowl but that has only made fans more ticked off. Going back to tackle football in the summer creates a preseason atmosphere with the league’s top 100 players going into the year playing in a game where players are motivated to perform and fans are excited to watch.