The Eagle’s Cry Reviews: 2024 NHL All Star Weekend (pt.1)

The NHL All Star games are almost always confusing. With it forever changing throughout the years, there are many aspects of it this year that I happened to like and dislike. 

The Draft

The draft was pretty terrible. The idea of the draft had some potential but ultimately, I strongly disliked it. 

Firstly, having the mics on while the decisions of who to draft were being made was just so awkward.

But, I did think the idea of bringing back celebrity captains had a lot of potential. Unfortunately though, they all seemed pretty clueless.

The Skills Competition 

These competitions were pretty good compared to years past. But, I definitely disliked the passing competition. All of the players were very confused and it kinda made no sense. 

But, I will say, I’m a big fan of Kucherov and I’m very conflicted on how I felt about his performance. Kucherov is currently having an insane season, leading the league in points and assists. So, it’s not difficult to understand why he couldn’t care less about the All Star game. I honestly found his poor performance pretty funny and just as a way to troll the Leafs fans. But, if you think about the fans that may have gone all the way to Toronto just to see Kucherov not care, it’s upsetting and embarrassing.

Along with the Kucherov situation, I think there should be a way to decline an All Star invite. There are many other players that dream of going to the All Star game and would enjoy being there.

I think it was very predictable that McDavid would win the overall thing. But, Georgiev making nine saves against McDavid to win a whopping $100,000 was an insane shock. I thought maybe Hellebuyck or Demko would win but that was not the case.

Going along with the goalies, I think there should’ve been more for the goalies to do. I feel like they fell short of competitions but also, what else would they be doing?

View Comments (1)