BHS Reviews: The Little Mermaid

During the summer, The Little Mermaid premiered in movie theaters all over the world. Recently, it has become available on Disney’s streaming platform, Disney+. The movie is a live action replica of the original film which was released in 1989 and is one of the highest grossing box office movies in 2023. 

The Little Mermaid is a story of a young mermaid princess named Ariel, she grows an interest in life on land and longs to be out from “Under the Sea” after saving a Prince from a shipwreck. She decides to make a deal with a sea witch named Ursula to become human for 3 days to meet Prince Eric. The plot of the film follows this story from the iconic animated picture and brings it to life with a well-liked cast and CGI.

Now that the film has become more accessible, many BHS students have watched and expressed their opinions of the popular film. Sukhman Kaur, a 10th grade student describes the movie as “Evolutionary… unique compared to other Disney movies.” 

Students such as Tarunjot Kaur express that the film surpassed expectations, “I usually enjoy the cartoon version more but the live action was pretty good!” Avid movie watcher, Tara Gyaltsen also says, “[she] actually liked the live action better than the original.”

The Little Mermaid live action film has brought numerous memories to viewers all over the world. The classic film has been brought to life and majority of BHS students seem to have positive reactions to the newly released film.