Idle Talk: The Surge of Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift. Heard of this name, haven’t you? The name, Taylor Swift, has been going around Bethpage High School for a while. This name has been recurring everywhere, all the time, recently. 

It was January of 2021, I decided to listen to the entirety of Taylor Swift’s discography, and I was not disappointed. Every song hooked me, and I jumped right into the emotional damage that most would call being a “swiftie”, which is what Swift’s fans are called. 

As the year continued, I noticed something occurring. Although Swift has always been known, it seemed like all of a sudden her name was everywhere. 

I’ll be honest, I did want to gatekeep (limit access), but it occurred to me that it’s quite difficult to do that with the most famous superstar. I was thinking “But you don’t understand that song like I understand that song”. 

I realized that a surge of these so-called “swifties” popped up after the release of her re-recorded album, Red (Taylor’s Version). Especially after a certain song, “All Too Well 

(10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version) (From the Vault),” (a mouthful, I know) went viral on Tiktok. That app is thought to ruin everything good in this world. 

It didn’t help when a year later, she announced her tour spotlighting every single one of her albums, or what she calls “eras.” She broke the internet and my brain with the unexpected news. Interestingly enough, I took three tests and had a virus the day those tickets went on sale, but my mother came to save the day when she announced she retrieved those golden tickets. I may happen to be  bragging about that by the way. 

Anyways, it’s necessary I conclude here before I go on a very, very long rant about the negative impact of  Tiktok on the entire music industry aka Taylor Swift.