What Happens to Louis Gil When Gerrit Cole Comes Back? – BHS REACTS

With Gerrit Cole on the cusp of return what will happen to his substitute Louis Gil?
Yankees Starting Pitcher Louis Gil
Yankees Starting Pitcher Louis Gil

Coming off of a Cy Young Season in 2023 Gerrit Cole was sidelined for 6-8 weeks in early March with a right elbow issue. Coming out of spring training pitcher Louis Gil earned the role as Coles fill in while he was on the IL. Gil has performed far better than his expectations accumulating a 2.92 ERA in 37 innings pitched. Gil, who was expected to return to triple A once Cole returns, has shown the Yankees that he has the stuff to be an ace. With Gerrit Cole on the cusp of return the question needs to be asked: What Happens To Louis Gil when Gerrit Cole Comes Back?

For context, the Yankees rotation this season has been elite. Despite some shaky starts here and there they have done the job and helped the Yankees remain one of the best teams in the league. That rotation: Marcus Stroman, Carlos Rodon, Nestor Cortes Jr, Clarke Schmidt, and of course Louis Gil. While Clarke Schmidt and Nestor Cortes Jr. have been great this year, they are by far the weakest links. 

Nestor is coming off of a down year barred by injuries but he has shown incredible potential in his other years with a 2.44 ERA in 2022 and has been great in certain starts this year. For Schmidt he is a young starter with a lot to prove. In 2023 he struggled with a 4.64 ERA. And Louis Gil who has pitched almost to perfection this season. So who does BHS want to get sent down?

Junior Jadyn Hsu explained how, “The best option for the New York Yankees is Louis Gil and Nestor Cortes Jr. Both pitchers have exemplified extraordinary effort and remarkable talent in the early goings of this season. For these reasons among others I feel that this pitcher combination will best suit the Yankees in their goal of crowning themselves World Series Champions.” She said it exactly like that.

Clearly BHS has their doubts with Clarke Schmidt but the real question is what will GM Brian Cashman do?