THE EAGLE’S CRY Movie Review: Barbie

THE EAGLES CRY Movie Review: Barbie

During the summer of 2023, the Barbie movie came out. The announcement of a live action Barbie was made by Universal in 2009, but they began the development in 2014. As the actors began to be announced, hype around the movie kept progressively building up. As the movie came out. People would go dressed up in all pink, wearing fun clothes, for this exciting movie. 

As more and more people saw the movie and more people began to review it, it was shortly after realized, the movie was not what was expected. It wasn’t some fun movie about Barbie and all her friends living her life. Ultimately, it was about Barbie finding who she was, her purpose. The movie was emotional, during the movie America Ferrera gives a speech about the standard girls believe they have to live up to. Her speech made girls all over the world emotional, it made them feel heard, and like someone understands exactly what they have been trying to say.

Senior Nicole Mercer said, “This movie made me very emotional and definitely left an impact on me. I was thinking about it for days after and just wanted to watch it again.” 

Margot Robbie does an incredible job depicting the struggle Barbie was going through. She showed her realization for how her perfect world wasn’t so perfect. How hard it is to find yourself and your purpose, being somewhere you belong, doing what makes you truly happy and discovering what you genuinely want in life. 

This movie left its viewers with a lingering feeling, it made people think about it for a long time following the day they saw it. It makes you realize things. This is what a good movie does, it’s not a one and done, where you watch it and never think of it again.