The Eagle’s Cry Sports Editors Present: Fantasy Football–Start ‘Em, Sit ‘Ems, 1st Edition

Welcome back! I have missed writing fantasy football here at the Eagle’s Cry. If you’re new, welcome to the 1st 2023 edition of Fantasy Football: Start ‘Em, Sit ‘Ems. Here’s the rundown: many students here at BHS are involved in fantasy football leagues. Many also fail to receive guidance on the important weekly decisions that may change the outcome of their matchups. I, along with guest analysts, will break down a handful of players at each position weekly and give you advice. Any readers with specific players they would like covered are encouraged to email to myself (at the end of this article) or other analysts. 

Usually, here will be last week’s results, so you can check my credibility. But, it’s Week 1 of the season! So, you’ll just have to trust me.  Heading into Week 1, here’s my advice.

Start ‘Ems (Who you should START this week)

QB: Jared Goff, Detroit

We don’t talk about the Mahomes or Hurts or Allens of fantasy. You’re obviously going to start them. We talk about the players you may be deciding between. One player I am certain of is Jared Goff. Coming off a career year, Detroit added Jahmyr Gibbs at Pick 12 of the first round and Sam LaPorta not much later. Against a Chiefs team reeling with Chris Jones likely out with his holdout, the Lions should be fully engaged in a shootout to open the season on Thursday. Start him confidently over any second tier QBs (anyone not named Mahomes, Hurts, Allen, Burrow, Jackson, Lawrence, or Herbert). 

RB: J.K. Dobbins, Baltimore

The Ravens should have a cakewalk against another poor Texans team. As the Ravens get ahead a few scores, they will feed Dobbins as they try to get him back to full health. Dobbins will find the end zone on Sunday. Start him as a RB2/FLEX.

WR: Drake London, Atlanta, and Chris Godwin, Tampa Bay

London is coming off a full offseason with QB Desmond Ridder and has good chemistry. He should feast against a shallow Panthers defense. Secondly, Chris Godwin is facing an abysmal Vikings D who lost their top 4 CBs from last season. Godwin will have a new role with a new QB, and will be more dynamic than people think. Both are solid WR2/FLEX plays this week.  

TE: Juwan Johnson, New Orleans

My third NFC South pass catcher this week. New Saints QB Derek Carr has publicly applauded his TE all offseason, and Carr previously led Darren Waller to fantasy prominence. Johnson should play well against a rough Titans D. If you waited on a TE and Johnson is currently on your bench or on the waivers, you may want to fix that, especially if you’re not overly confident in your current TE. And if you’re already starting Johnson, you’re doing something right. 

Sit ‘Ems (Who you should SIT this week)

QB: Aaron Rodgers, New York A

Hold your horses. I know everyone is excited about Rodgers’ debut, especially the many proud Jets fans in this school. I’m worried about Rodgers and how he looked in practice this summer. The weaponry is deep for Rodgers, but the Bills D is also loaded. Rodgers will unfortunately have a disappointing debut for the Jets. Wait and see how he plays before starting him immediately. Play guys like Geno Smith, Daniel Jones, Kirk Cousins, Tua Tagovailoa, and the aforementioned Jared Goff all over Rodgers if they’re available or on your bench. 

RB: David Montgomery, Detroit

A lot of people are excited for D-Mont, believing he will inherit Jamaal Williams’ role from last season (17 rushing TDs). Not only do I believe this role will be split up amongst numerous Lions—Montgomery included—but this role will not be used on Thursday. In a game where both QBs should easily throw for 350+ yards, there will not be short yardage and goal line touches to be had. Rookie Jahmyr Gibbs will easily be the better play when Goff throws 50+ balls because he can catch the ball. Montgomery is a good player to have most weeks, not this one. Start your other RB2/FLEX options this week. 

WR: Van Jefferson, Los Angeles N, and Zay Flowers, Baltimore

I know many of you out there picked up Van Jefferson when news broke that Cooper Kupp isn’t playing Week 1. Remember you drafted a good team (most likely). You should not be picking up and starting ANYBODY Week 1. Trust yourself and your team. Besides, Van Jefferson is a below-average player and Seattle’s secondary is elite! If you got him, sure, hold onto him and see how he can play while Kupp is out. But don’t start him, not yet. Now Zay Flowers I’m sure is someone you drafted and are very excited to play. But again, calm down. Flowers is a rookie in a crowded receiving room and against a solid Houston secondary. Flowers is gonna have growing pains in a game where the game script will not favor him. 

TE: Chigoziem Okonkwo, Tennessee

Okonkwo was highly sought after by those who waited on tight ends after an encouraging rookie campaign. He simply hasn’t done enough to be started Week 1. The Titans run the ball more than anything, and this won’t change because they brought in DeAndre Hopkins. Okonkwo will not take that step some expect him to this early in the season. 

Thank you for tuning in, especially if you’re a returning reader from last season. If you have requests for next edition, email me at [email protected]. Good luck this week to all!