Rhys Hoskins VS The Mets – BHS Reacts

Rhys Hoskins VS The Mets - BHS Reacts

Jeff McNiel angry, Yohan Ramirez and Carlos Mendoza suspended, benches cleared, and tensions high: What happened at the Mets game?

On March 29th, opening day baseball, the Mets faced the Brewers and in the top of the 8th with a runner on first, batter Willy Adames grounded a ball to third base, a sure double play only when Hoskins, the runner from first, slid into second late he took out second baseman Jeff McNiel. McNiel yelled at Hoskins and the benches cleared. The Brewers went on to win the game 3-1.

The next day Mets fans, salty about their loss and about the slide, booed Hoskins relentlessly only to get embarrassed over and over again. Hoskins went 3-4 with 4 RBIs and a home run in the Brewers 7-6 win over the Mets. 

Even worse in Hoskins 4th at bat the Mets decided that it would be a good time to send the message. In the first pitch of the at bat, reliever Yohan Ramirez blew a 94 mph fastball behind the head of the hitter. A hitter who already embarrassed the Mets with a 4 RBI performance. Ramirez was ejected along with manager Carlos Mendoza and both were suspended 3 games.

Mets fan Mr. Dan Malossi explained how, “It was a dirty slide. Left leg hit him and the right leg took out his knee. McNiel was 100% right for getting angry.”

With the MLB making rule changes to try and prevent these incidents it is disappointing that these continue to happen. Mr. Malossi went on to say, “You can’t have it both ways if you’re going to let players take out second basemen then they should be allowed to block the bag. Terrible job by the MLB.”

With fans and players clearly angry the MLB has a lot to think about reflecting on this “dirty” slide.