BHS Discusses: Jellycats

Jellycats have been around since 1999 but have become increasingly popular and taken online communities by a sensational storm. Collectors purchase all different types and sizes of these soft plush critters made with luxurious fabrics from this London-based company and these adorable designs have melted the hearts of many, including students at BHS. 

The plushies are seen gifted to loved ones, becoming keepsakes and personalized with clothing. Some people go as far as personifying them by naming the toys and bringing them around travels. Additionally, it is possible for friends to have matching dolls as there are various colors and designs within the Jellycat company. The brand releases exclusive designs which can be seasonal or during special events, like the upcoming holiday season, which only adds to the craze. 

Designs include mythical creatures like unicorns, to farm animals, insects, and foods like a cashew or an egg. To top it off, the creatures have faces on them ranging in expressions. 

Relating to the price of the stuffed toys, small ones which can fit into the palm of a hand can be seen ranging from $11-$30, and sometimes even more. The reason for this pricing is because the company pays their workers liveable wages and uses high quality material which accounts to the high cost. Nevertheless, people still buy these dolls no matter the price, with some even having huge collections. And some, like me, are in awe of the adorableness of the product and have the critters on their wish lists. 

BHS students were asked how they feel about the trending product and if they believe Jellycats are worth the buzz they’ve been getting. Amna Raja, a sophomore says, “I think they’re cute but horrifically overpriced… like- to buy something that small for $30?” Senior Hamza Raja also adds that there is no practical use to the product. An anonymous 12th grade student shared that, “Jellycats are so so cute. The urge to spend all my life savings on them is real.” While these opinions are both on the more extreme end of the spectrum compared to other answers, the majority of Bethpage students believe that the Jellycat craze is understandable but don’t specifically wish to purchase them with their own funds. Yet, they’re still on many wish lists this year!