The Eagle’s Cry Movie Review: Serendipity

Serendipity is a rom-com that came out in 2001, starring Kate Beckinsale and John Cusack. The movie is based on the title, the two meet in New York City during Christmas time. They meet in Bloomingdales trying to buy the same pair of gloves, they then go to the restaurant Serendipity together. While they are there they discuss the meaning of the word. Serendipity means the gift of finding valuable or agreeable things not looked for, often connected to fate, the two coincide with one another. 

Beckinsale’s character believes in fate and tries to rub her beliefs off on Cusack’s character; she tests to see if fate is on their side. Coincidentally they don’t pass the test, so the two go their separate ways. The next scene jumps to years later where the two are on opposite sides of the country, engaged to other people. Cusack’s character has never forgotten the women he met that one cold December night. He looks for her in everything he does and everywhere he goes. Days before his wedding he drags his best friend, Jeremy Piven, to find the girl who he will never forget. They go all over the city and even to California to find her, but she’s also trying to find him. She flies to New York City with her best friend, Molly Shannon, the two do a similar search for the man she once met on a cold December night. 

The movie’s plot is fate, anything that is meant to be, will be. Everything that happens, happens for a reason. Everything is a sign, nothing is a coincidence. No matter what the reason is, if you know it or not, one small thing leads to the next, everything is connected. Things will fall into place. The movie depicts this theme through the whole movie, and every detail throughout the movie supports the message it’s conveying.