BHS Discusses: Rachel Zegler

I don’t get it; being mad that a live action movie isn’t the same as the original cartoon is such a strange thing to complain about. If you have to be mad, be mad at the movie, not the actors. The whole “Rachel Zegler is a brat” thing is just a petty excuse to hate on this woman. For those who don’t know what I’m talking about, Rachel Zegler, an actress who was set to play Snow White in the upcoming Disney live action, has been getting hate for being “ungrateful”. This all started when she was interviewed about the movie. Rachel starts off by saying that “It’s no longer 1937” and that Snow White does not have to be saved by the Prince. Although, I admit she could have worded this better, ‘cause love doesn’t make a woman weak, but the amount of backlash she has been getting from the internet for this is appalling. One woman went on to say that criticizing a Disney princess wasn’t feminist and that there are women in the world who don’t want to be a leader, and that is fine. I agree, although, if you are honestly getting so upset  over a children’s movie that you have to bully a twenty-two year old woman, maybe you should just don’t watch the new movie, and stick to the old one. It’s not that big of a problem. 

Honestly, I don’t care if the movie gets canceled or if Rachel Zegler gets fired, but there is no reason for millions of people to hate on her. Rachel was just trying to empower women, and although you might disagree with the way she worded things, she had the right intention. You shouldn’t assume a person’s personality based on a ten second video.

I went around the school asking students their opinion on Zegler. An anonymous sophomore said, “[Rachel] hates Snow White, at that point you’re just trying to get the money. You can at least pretend to enjoy [the role]. She’s just ruining it for everyone else.” That, my friends, is an example of misogyny and why this person decided to be anonymous. Some people that I interviewed even said that they thought she was annoying and ruined the fun. That’s their opinion but everyone knows at least one person that is annoying, but you don’t hate on them excessively. Why hate on Rachel?