Remembering Joey Boncic

On Friday, March 20th, 2015, BHS junior Joey Boncic passed away after a year-long battle with Hodgkin’s lymphoma. The news devastated the entire student body, but hit the junior class particularly hard. Members of the junior class, teachers, and administrators remembered Joey as a kind, thoughtful young man who always gave his best and fought hard against a terrible illness.

“I know this is upsetting to all of us and that Joey will remain in our thoughts forever,” Superintendent Terrence Clark said in an email to faculty and staff shortly before the announcement was made during ninth period. “This is a very sad day.”

Students at BHS were shocked that someone they had spent much of their school life with was suddenly gone. Joey’s sister, Katarina, spoke to The Eagle’s Cry about her brother.

“He was the best person I ever knew; he was awesome as a brother and a friend,” Katarina said. “When I was five, he would show me R-rated movies, even though we would get in lots of trouble. It was still very fun.”

BHS teachers were equally hard-hit, remembering Joey as a hard-working student who was very kind to others and always had a smile for his friends and teachers.

“Joey was a caring, loving young man with a sweet soul and a big heart,” Joey’s ninth grade math teacher Miss Keane said. “It was an honor and a privilege to teach him. His strength and drive should be an inspiration to all of us. His memory will live in my heart forever.”

Joey affected so many people at the high school, and not just the students and teachers.

“I was one of the lucky people that got to know Joey. I will forever remember him for his sweet and gentle disposition,” said BHS psychologist Mrs. Vera. “He was always so polite to me, even when I was bugging him about staying awake in class. I always respected the way he told things like they were, and how he focused on what he wanted to do after High School. I will surely miss him.”

Joey’s guidance counselor Mrs. Gagliardi said, “Joey was one of the most selfless students I have had the pleasure of working with. His strength and courage are unmatched by most. I am honored to have had the opportunity to work with him. This is a devastating loss for all of those who knew him; he will be deeply missed.”

Without question, Joey’s life touched hundreds of people at the high school, and his brave fight touched everyone. The Eagle’s Cry sends heartfelt condolences to the family, and hopes that this story serves as a reminder of how well-liked and appreciated Joey was to Bethpage.

BHS principal Mr. Spence said, “Joey was a courageous young man. All who crossed his path found him to be such a bright, caring, and warm person. We feel very lucky to have gotten to know him as a student here at Bethpage High School. He will be greatly missed, but remembered forever.”