Bethpage’s First Ever Flag Football Team Makes it to Playoffs!

For many years, Bethpage had a fantastic Boys Football program. Whether it’s junior varsity or varsity, both have been well known throughout our community. This year, Bethpage opened up the Football world to girls and started a Girls Varsity Flag Football program. 

On March 13th 2023, Bethpage held their first day of tryouts for the new girls Varsity Flag Football team. With just a little over 2 months of practice, this team exceeded all expectations. 

On March 18th, Bethpage hosted a Flag Football Jamboree. Schools from across Long Island made their way to Bethpage High School. Everyone did countless amounts of drills filled with even more fun! This was a great opportunity for girls to learn more and have more experience right off the bat. 

Shortly after, on March 22 2023, Bethpage Girls Varsity Flag Football played their first ever game against Plainedge. The Golden Eagles eventually secured their first win that night with a final score of 33-18.

On April 29th 2023, the Eagles headed off to Roslyn. This wasn’t like any other game they have ever played before. The weather was absolutely terrible, and it was pouring rain! But, the Bethpage Eagles found a way to keep an optimistic mindset, and they eventually won 18-0. 

On May 6th 2023, the Bethpage Eagles Flag Football team had their Senior game. Prior to the game, some of the girls came to set up handmade displays and everyone signed the balloons for the girls. Before the game, they honored their two seniors, Fran Silva and Victoria Pfeffer. Eventually, the Eagles won with a score of 25-12 against Roosevelt. With that, the team secured their spot in the playoffs this season. The Eagle’s Cry interviewed some players and coaches on how they felt about the inaugural season taking it to the next stage. 

Sophomore Victoria Brady said, “I feel very proud of our team to have made it this far. I am excited to be a part of this memorable moment. I hope we make it far in the playoffs due to our hard work. I think this is an awesome opportunity for the new flag football team!”

Sophomore Nadia Castillo shared, “Feels great to be making history each day.Watch out, Bethpage is coming to win this.”

Sophomore Allie O’Shea said, “It is so cool that our team has accomplished this goal and hopefully we can become champions!” 

Sophomore Kaia Corell said, “I feel like we have grown so much as a new team and to be rewarded for that is so exciting.”

Junior Marisa Cacciuttolo said, “It is a big accomplishment to make the plays because it’s been a team goal of ours all season and it feels great. Can’t wait to keep winning more.”

Junior Ava Thomaidis said, “It’s truly an honor to be the first ever GIRLS flag football team in Bethpage history, and even making it to Playoffs blows my mind everyday.” 

Junior Sophia Mangano said, “It’s actually insane to think that we are the first ever girls flag football team at BHS, and to see how far we have come. I mean, we made playoffs! I honestly can’t wait to see what we accomplish, I’m so proud of this team.”

Junior Kathleen Krummenacker said, “It’s so incredible making it into playoffs, we have such a talented team and I’m so excited to see how far we can go this season.” 

Senior Victoria Pfeffer said, “Making playoffs in the first ever flag football season at Bethpage is a huge accomplishment for women in sports, as football is regarded as a male sport. By our hard work and dedication, our team has proved and set an example that it’s possible to do anything we put our minds to! It’s one of the coolest feelings ever and I am so happy and proud to be a part of it!”

Coach Shanahan established, “Overall, I’m just so proud of this group. In their first year they have gone above and beyond my expectations. Day in, day out; they’re enthusiastic, coachable, and eager to play, and learn. I can’t wait to see what we do in the postseason!”

Coach Agovino said, “I’m so proud to be a part of this inaugural, girls flag football season, and I think everybody has worked really hard, and it is now coming through in our efforts, and making a bid before the playoffs.”

Finally, this TEC writer  believes that if you don’t participate in any sports, this team is a great opportunity to start. The environment, the coaching, and the sport itself is so much fun. I’m so excited to see what we achieve in the playoffs! Make sure to go cheer for the Golden Eagles at their last regular season home game, on May 13th at 11am!