Gabby’s Honest Review: What’s Up with APs?

It’s the beginning of a new year and you know what that means: making schedules. We all have had countless meetings with guidance counselors in and out of the classroom about potential classes, what is right and wrong for us, and even our GPAs. 

Looking at the course list, you see many options for main subject classes and electives. As you go through each grade, you have more and more freedom to choose what you want. Seniors can even take a double period lunch to get 45 minutes of extra relaxation time. But what about the people that like to stack their schedule with AP classes? 

Well, there are a lot of benefits to taking AP classes. Specifically, if you pass your AP exams (get a 3 or higher), you can receive college credit. AP classes also look incredible on transcripts. What colleges really want to see though is a pathway. They want to see that a student is specializing in something. The question is: is our school offering enough APs for what you want to do?

Mr. Pollatos, the Director of the BHS Science Department said, “I’m satisfied with the science APs offered here at BHS.” He felt that there are only so many APs a student can fit into their schedule. “To put in new AP courses would be to allow students to take more APs just for the title on their transcript,” Mr. Pollatos said. 

Izzy Romero, a sophomore at BHS, said, “If we had AP European History or AP Human Geography, I would definitely take it.”

Similarly, Sarah Watson, another student at BHS, said, “I would take AP Art and Design if it was offered. It seems really cool.” 

So what would it take to get these types of APs at BHS? “Well,” Mr.Pollatos said. “There would need to be a combined talk between the subject directors, guidance counselors, the assistant principals and the principal. Then, if they all agree, they can send a Google form to the graduating class or alumni and ask them if they would have taken these classes when they were students. Finally, a teacher would have to get certified by the AP Program to teach the class. It’s this whole process.” 

Granted, this is a long process. But, if students feel the need to learn more, why shouldn’t they bring it to the attention of the administration? “If we don’t offer certain APs that students want, I encourage them to take a look at the electives we offer. These may lay the foundation for certain pathways, without the pressure of an AP course,” said Mr. Pollatos. 

So, if you have a desire to take AP Music Theory or learn AP Latin, see what BHS offers first. If there is nothing that appeals to your student eye, consider talking to your guidance counselor and see what courses are best for you to take. But just remember:  your courses are still important to your education whether they have “AP” in it or not.