The Eagle’s Cry Interview: Sarah Ali, BHS Senior

Sarah Ali is a senior and student leader at BHS. Despite starting her final year here virtually, Sarah has overcome multiple obstacles and has continued to persevere. Known for her outgoing and outspoken personality, Sarah remains an active participant in our school community as  Mock Trial President, Fundraising Officer for the Marine Science Club, Co-President of the SPEC Club, and the CEO of her Virtual Enterprise group. Considering her impressive high school career, I asked her to reflect on her years as a BHS student and what she looks forward to in her bright future. 

The Eagle’s Cry: During this stressful time, do you do anything for self-care?

Sarah Ali: That’s a great question. Self-care for me during this time would include watching Netflix. TV shows and movies always take me away from reality a bit. I like to get lost in what is happening in the show. 

The Eagle’s Cry: How has your senior year been going so far, considering distance learning?

Sarah Ali: As a senior, distance learning has been really difficult. I love being able to engage in conversations with both students and teachers. However, I spend most of my time on the Google Meet muted and don’t pay much attention to what is happening in the classroom. Staring at a screen for approximately eight hours is just unnecessary. To me it would be better if I just received the work and did it on my own time. Learning that way is less stressful and gives me more time to do my other hobbies. 

The Eagle’s Cry: What words of advice would you give to students who are struggling in their classes right now?

Sarah Ali: My word of advice to anyone is to slow down and breathe. I have taken hard classes and struggled no matter what I did. I may not be the smartest kid in the room, but it is what it is. That test or assignment doesn’t define you. You are more than what a grade on a Calc assignment tells you. 

The Eagle’s Cry: Reflecting on your years as a Bethpage student, what has been your most memorable memory? 

Sarah Ali: That is a tough question. I have made some incredible memories with amazing friends here. My favorite memory would have to be my 10th grade year in Geometry. I spent so much time joking around with every single classmate. We made a lot of trouble in that class, but it was by far one of the best times I have had here. Mr. Laspina brought a whole group of kids together that you would never expect to be friends.

The Eagle’s Cry: What’s a class in BHS you think everyone should take and why?

Sarah Ali: One class everyone should take is Child Psychology with Mrs. Schneider. Let me tell you, I learned so much from that amazing woman. You get to learn about the reality of the world, take care of babies, learn about STDs (that part was kind of nasty, but she got you through it). She gives you such amazing advice and treats you like you’re one of her own. 

The Eagle’s Cry: If there is one thing you could change about BHS, what would it be?

Sarah Ali: I would definitely try to make this a more open-minded place. Everyone in Bethpage stays in their bubble and they never really venture off for fear of being looked down upon. I think everyone would be better off just sticking to their values and seeing everyone around them as people. Humans. Everyone here is so similar. The kids who I greatly admire, and are my dearest friends, show off their beautiful personalities and they get treated so poorly. I wish I could change that.

The Eagle’s Cry: Are there any teachers you’d like to thank for making a big impact on your life?

Sarah Ali: Oh my, there are so many. Mrs.Whalen, Ms. Sestak, Mrs. Schneider, Ms.Way, Mr.D, Mr.Murray, Mr. Gorman and so many others I swear I could make you a ten-page book on all of my favorites. Each teacher taught me to be a better person and [has] changed my life without even knowing it. Without them, I wouldn’t be able to give this interview. They let me be myself and never treated me like I was a problem. I know they say we aren’t friends or I’m not allowed in faculty meetings, but I am definitely a faculty member in their hearts. 

The Eagle’s Cry: What is something you were told, advice or expectations, that you didn’t believe about high school until you got here?

Sarah Ali: I was told that these years would be the most spectacular moments of my life. I can honestly say, it is all a joke. I wish I could have that high school experience. But mine is mine, a more fun version, and that version is much better than the one I was told about. 

The Eagle’s Cry: What are your plans for college?

Sarah Ali: College is a crazy time. Applications are kicking my butt right now. I am going to college. Hopefully, they let me in. I want to do something to help the people. My people. The world needs to come together, and I want to be in the middle of that. 

The Eagle’s Cry: What do you think is something everyone should do to lead a happier life?

Sarah Ali: BE YOUR MOST AUTHENTIC SELF. No matter what another person says to you or about you, please just be yourself. Don’t let them take your beautiful dreams away. Wear that hat. Wear those shoes. Wear all the makeup you want. Remember you were put in this world for a reason. Everything about you is the reason someone loves waking up in the morning. You matter.