American Students: COVID Crazy?

A world of desolation, in which one is permitted not to leave their home for fear of a virulent disease which ravages the world’s population. Sounds like something out of a dystopian novel, no? Unlike the world of 1984 or The Hunger Games, 2020 was non-fiction indeed. A strange virus took the world by surprise last year, and most of us were condemned to our domiciles, our faithful abodes, for the greater part of nearly five months. 

As one may expect, many of us, myself included, had commenced a dark descent into animalistic ways, and strange, ritualistic coping mechanisms. I am looking to ask several students about their experiences during quarantine, and how their mental health decayed or prospered. I will also reach out to mental health officials such as the school’s psychiatrist and counselors in order to learn their opinions on the legitimate, and looming threat of mental collapse during large-scale quarantine.

So to see the general opinion regarding the quarantine crazies, I will be taking to the halls, and I have lined up a rotunda of questions for students, and I will be interviewing Mr. Malossi, the school hunk for his expert opinion. The legitimate and serious implications the quarantine may have upon the youth concerned some staff and students alike. 

The following is an unedited interview with Bethpage junior and Eagle’s Cry reporter, Michael Menz:

Clearly, not everyone feels that quarantine was necessarily a hard time for them, but that’s to be expected. We all have our own individual experiences and hardships that ultimately shape us, affecting the way we think, feel, and respond to potentially devastating crises. On the other end of the spectrum, many others feel that the overall experience was detrimental to mental health, killing motivation and  desire to do anything but lay in the sweet linens of one’s beddie-boo. The following is an uncut recording of an interview with Mr. Malossi, BHS English teacher: