Opinion: The Coronavirus Quarantine is Fun for No One

As most are aware, our lives have been drastically changed over the course of the last few weeks. With the spread of CoronaVirus, or COVID-19, we have faced many extreme limitations on what we can and can’t do. In wake of this virus, schools have been closed, either until further notice or indefinitely, sports have been cancelled, and shopping has been limited to only necessities. Most of our leisurely activities have been ultimately cancelled until we can get this virus under some kind of control, and this has ultimately ruined the lives of many.

Senior students in many schools have now lost their chance to graduate, go to prom, and enjoy the last season of their sport because of this virus and the supposed threat it imposes. Juniors looking to get into their dream schools are being forced to take their AP exams online, and their SATs cancelled until further notice. These trying times have led to much confusion and upset regarding sports and school. Just how much of this panic is really even based in fact though? Information regarding the actual logistics of this virus have been nothing short of hazy, as if you check out the interactive COVID-19 map (which can be found just by googling it) looks kind of like a warzone, with every red dot being representative of cases of the virus in the world. Already, this threatening appearance of the map looks rather sinister, and makes one almost overestimate the severity of this virus, which is what many folks have done as they shamble aimlessly to the store like doomsday preppers to get that last roll of that sweet T.P..

On a more serious note, it is imperative that we, as civilized and intellectual beings, consider any and all information given to us, and use a mental sieve to filter the malarkey from the righteous truth. It should go without saying, but one needs to consider the validity of the source before making any decisions or panicking. If your local news station is warning of an upcoming category 5 hurricane, you have every right to go to the store and prepare your defenses. However, if one of your highschool friends from Facebook posts something along the lines of “everybody panic, we’re all going to die, this virus will kill millions” you have to question this person’s qualifications. If he’s a doctor whose medical license has somehow not been revoked, maybe consider his opinion. But if he is just that, a highschool friend on facebook, or anyone on Facebook for that matter, please, do some of your own research.

The public outcry for this virus has sparked many immense changes to our ways of life, even if only temporary, it has hindered the lives of many. Furious keyboard warriors have been warning people of a deadly virus that only kills those who are already worse for ware, not the general population, angry Facebook moms have clickety-clacked on their IPads and Kindles forcing the hands of schools to close down. The effects of this are unprecedented, what is the student to do at home?

Coming from  a student, I think I speak for many, the overwhelming nature of these conditions have killed any and all motivation to do school work. Waking up to oodles of new emails from my teachers giving me new work every day has been just frustrating. Teachers are assigning more work than they ever gave me when I sat two feet in front of their faces, and they don’t even consider that every other teacher is doing the same. Being cooped up for two weeks isf fun for no one, but it’s somehow worse when I’m painfully aware that I have hours of online assignments to do that frankly are about as mentally stimulating as watching paint dry. There are many students who struggle with school to begin with, especially in certain subjects like math and science. What are they to do? I know personally, the face to face interactions I have everyday with my teachers is the only effective way I can learn. The artificial nature of learning is killing some students’ passion to learn or even their ability to learn. There is certainly no perfect answer, but until we can reach a level of refinement, no assignments should be given, or at least not mandatory, as every student has limitations.

As much as I would like to report some sort of silver lining, I can’t seem to find any realistic outcomes of this pandemic that are beneficial. All lives have been uprooted and changed, whether it’s someone losing their job or even a senior who doesn’t get to go to their own graduation, everyone feels the heavy weight of this catastrophe. My heart aches when I consider the devastation this virus has caused already, and will continue to cause. Looking beyond the casualties caused by the virus, nearly everyone has felt some degree of loss, whether they’re missing going to school and seeing their friends or if they’re trying to survive off of the pittance of food they were left after every grocery store was raided. 

As dark as times may be, I rest with an easy head every night when I consider the following. We are humans. We have risen from the ashes before and we will do so again. We have a natural affinity for adaptation that will propel us further into advancement. We are the dominant species of this planet for a reason, and I have no doubt in my mind that the light of humanity will continue to shine through the fog of these dark times, and will shine brighter than ever once the fog lifts. All we can do for now is remember these sentiments, and make choices not for ourselves, but for our species. It is imperative to adhere strictly to the social distancing guidelines to protect you, your family, and the world. Take precautions when going outside, and only do so when necessary, small things like wearing a mask and gloves can help us beat this bug. This period of time may be extremely difficult for all, but we must take these vital steps to at least slow down this virus, and although every individual effort matters, it is our collective efforts that will ultimately prevail.