Interviewing Ms. Flanagan: Thoughts on BHS and Outside Hobbies

Photographer: Matthew A. Holzwar

Ms. Flanagan is a phenomenal chemistry educator in Bethpage High School. From making slime and playing Kahoot, to giving out enjoyable whiteboard activities, Ms. Flanagan ensures that her lessons motivate and excite her students positively.  Here’s the full interview, presented without comment:

The Eagle’s Cry: Were you determined from the very beginning of your studies to teach chemistry as a teacher in high school? 

Ms. Flanagan: Ever since I was in elementary school I knew I wanted to be a teacher, however I did not know what subject. I took chemistry as a sophomore in high school and really loved it. I have always enjoyed math and so I really enjoyed that aspect of chemistry. Once I learned about all the experiments and hands-on learning that could be done with chemistry I knew I wanted to be a chemistry teacher. 

The Eagle’s Cry: Was there another subject you were interested in?

Ms. Flanagan: Like I mentioned above, I have always really enjoyed math too and so that was always another subject I considered teaching.

The Eagle’s Cry: Growing up, who was an inspiration to you? 

Ms. Flanagan: Growing up my parents were always my biggest inspirations. They were the most hard working, caring and dedicated people I ever knew. They still are my inspirations today.

The Eagle’s Cry: How has your teaching experience in Bethpage been?

Ms. Flanagan: I absolutely love teaching at Bethpage. My students and colleagues are wonderful. From the moment I walked into the high school on my first day I felt at home and I still feel that way today. Bethpage is a very special place filled with the most caring people and I feel grateful to be a part of it.

The Eagle’s Cry: What do you do in your free time? Do you play any sports like I recall you mentioning in class once?

Ms. Flanagan: I ran throughout high school and college and still love to run during my free time. I also really enjoy reading and doing yoga.

The Eagle’s Cry: Where are some places you’ve traveled to if you have? Which was your favorite? 

Ms. Flanagan: I have been fortunate to travel to many places. Some of my favorites were California, Jamaica, Mexico, Bermuda and the Bahamas but my favorite place I have been is Italy. I was fortunate to study abroad in Italy during college and I can’t wait to go back.

The Eagle’s Cry: What is advice you have for juniors who are going to be seniors in the upcoming school year?

Ms. Flanagan:  My advice to the rising seniors is to enjoy every moment. Enjoy the time with your friends and school events. Make sure you take pictures so you can look back on all the memories but also remember to put down your phones to enjoy one another’s company.