Make Halloween Great Again

It seems pretty obvious. No one should wear costumes based off stereotypes. But, people don’t comprehend how their actions can hurt others even though offensive costumes aren’t new. From dressing up as a holocaust survivor, a terrorist even using blackface Halloween partakers are not afraid to cross the line.

The students of Bethpage High School had their opinions to add. One student who wishes to stay anonymous claimed “A person can wear a costume that centers around another culture and be respectful. But, many people seem to wear costumes centered around stereotypes, its sad.” The fine line between an offensive costume and a suitable one is blurred to most. 

Is blackface crossing the line? Or is dressing up as a figure of another race crossing the line as well? A character can be tweaked but a figure was or is a real person. The way white actors playing Egyptian kings and queens with British accents offends African people can be applicable to this situation.

Some claim that a costume is just for fun and that it isn’t a big deal but others say that you can never wear a costume consisting of racial groups or cultures that does not 

apply to you.  Especially with groups like African Americans who unfortunately in our modern society still experience racism and lack of privilege. 

After the horrible acts of 9/11 people were insolent enough to dress up as a terrorist two months after the terrifying day. The outfits used to dress up as a terrorist is always what a Middle Eastern person is stereotypically seen as. For example Chris Brown wore an outfit one Halloween containing of a turban, a fake beard and clothes that are usually associated with Middle Eastern people. Clearly even celebrities who have to be on top of their image are guilty of controversial costumes. But, his actions were wrong because the Middle East is associated with Islam even though Christians and Jewish people also live in the area. Therefore dressing up as a terrorist can spread Islamophobia. 

Many Native Americans claim that throughout history their culture has been stripped away from them so why would anyone else have the right to dress up as Indigenous Peoples? Native American headdresses are a highly popular costume not only for Halloween but festivals like Coachella. Many don’t seem to even understand that wearing a Native American headdress for these events is highly offensive because it is in fact equivalent to a yamaka or a turban. It has religious significance. 

Amalia Lal, a fellow sophomore that attends BHS school made a great point “ If they know something is culturally inappropriate it’s better to stay away from it because someone out there will always be offended”. If you think your outfit is not offensive it can always be hurtful to someone else because of the different perspectives we have. So, dressing up as a character or just anything minus cultural wear would be a better idea.

If you think there may be a negative reaction to your costume it’s better to be safe than sorry.