Farewell David Wright

Patrick Kerrigan, Editor

It was 14 years, two months, and nine days ago that David Wright debuted for the Mets, beaming and fresh-faced, against a team that doesn’t exist anymore in a stadium that would be razed a little more than four years later. Accompanying his arrival back then, ominously, was the endless fanfare that had trailed so many Mets prospects before him. The Mets had been infamous up to that point for—well, they had been infamous for a lot of things… among them an enduring struggle to find a third baseman and a tendency to over promise with prospects after most of their players from their last 90’s 00’s playoff runs departed the team.

David Wright was sold as nothing less than Scott Rolen and Derek Jeter rolled into one. Disappointment, correlated as it had been with hype, loomed. Instead, within a month, the 21-year-old was the team’s best hitter. He was not only gifted but precocious, with power to all fields and a glove to depend on. 

Wright’s return to the field was a rousing and poignant moment, especially in a lost season for the Mets (68-78). He was drafted by the team in 2001, played in 13 major league seasons for them, signed two substantial contract extensions to stay, made seven All-Star games, won two Gold Glove awards and sits atop many franchise leaderboards. He was the true face of the franchise for years on end.

He was a part of 2 Mets playoff pushes in 2006 and 2015. He led the 2006 mets to the NLCS and in 2015 he helped the Mets reach their first World Series since 2000. He even hit a homerun in game 3 in front of the New York faithful, showing glimpses of retro-David Wright.

David Wright has left Citi Field a long standing ovation before a packed crowd at Citi Field in his farewell game for the New York Mets. Wright’s 2 year old daughter, Olivia Shea (for the old Mets stadium, Shea Stadium) threw out the first pitch before the game.

The team captain went 0 for 1 with a walk against the Miami Marlins and was removed after two plate appearances as planned. On defense, he handled a one-hopper to third base with no problem. Wright, who fouled out to first base his final time up, took his position before the top of the fifth inning. Mets manager Mickey Callaway then came out of the dugout to make a lineup change, and Wright began his slow, final, walk off the Mets infield. 

As fans cheered for about 3 minutes, 15 seconds, Wright saluted them by touching the bill of his cap and patting his chest repeatedly.

His stellar career cut short by injuries, the 35-year-old Wright completed an arduous comeback by returning to the majors this week for the first time since May 27, 2016. 

Editorial:

As being a Mets fan since as long as I can remember, David Wright was one of the first players I remember watching and loving. Seeing him retire was in a way heartbreaking, as he was the only good that came from the dark days of the Mets from 2008-2014. Wright is the true definition of a professional athlete, and he will be sorely missed by the Mets fanbase forever.

Patrick Kerrigan, Sports Editor

Patrick is a sophomore at Bethpage High School, and this is his first year writing for The Eagle’s Cry. He pays attention to topics such as politics,...