What Time? Maritime!

Last week, members of BHS’s Forensics and Marine Biology classes participated in the 15th annual Bethpage Maritime Festival. Wednesday and Thursday, during fourth period, a sea of excited third graders from the district poured into the high school to explore a variety of ocean-themed exhibits. The high school students guided their guests through activities like rope making, fish printing, and mini golfing (on a Gilligan’s Island themed course). Highlights of the day included a fish dissection performed by some brave seniors; a scuba demonstration featuring Mr. Hack; and an outdoor touch tank complete with eels, crabs, and sea squirts.

To many seniors, the festival is not just an excuse to skip class, but a way of giving back to the district as they prepare to graduate this June. Students who have fond memories of their own Maritime festival experience as third graders were especially eager to make the day special.

“It was great to see the kids so enthusiastic about learning, especially since I want to be a teacher”, said Lauren Bloom.

Marine Science Club advisor Mr. Portuese said, “I’m ecstatic about how well the festival went, how great my students were, and how even the weather cooperated”.

A proud tradition at BHS, the Maritime festival has been a great success every year since 2001, and continues to serve as a fun and educational experience for our district’s third and twelfth grade students. Congratulations to all senior volunteers on another fin-tastic job.