Teacher Feature: Mrs. Indenbaum, Global Teacher Extraordinaire

If you’ve ever been in the social studies wing, you’ve most likely seen her—in the hallway, or when you walk past her classroom. She’s Mrs. Indenbaum, and she has worked at BHS since 2006. Mrs. Indenbaum used to be Miss Cohan until the fateful day she met her husband, who also taught at Bethpage High School. Mrs. Indenbaum is the mother of two loving children, two and four years old. She is a hard working mother who keeps things together.  

Mrs. Indenbaum enjoys her subject. Her favorite history topics are the French Revolution and Cold War.

Mrs Indenbaum said, “I like the subject matter. I became a teacher because I love learning new things, and I wasn’t always the smartest kid in my class. I was definitely one of  the students who had to work at it, and it didn’t come naturally to me, but eventually I figured out how to learn, how to study, and it became very rewarding to me, especially when I get a good grade on my test. But besides teaching my subject matter I like teaching students how to be better writers , better students, and I like meeting students.”

She continues, “I like teaching high school students because you’re adults…basically, and I can have conversations with you. I feel like it enriches my life, because I learn from other people, and their perspectives.” Mrs. Indenbaum understands the struggles of other students, “I know school isn’t for everyone—but I try to impart the idea that school, even if you’re not into history or math or science, is going to give you the ability to do whatever you want to do.”

Strangely, Mrs. Indenbaum was a huge Dallas Cowboys fan growing up.

“[Quarterback] Troy Aikman was my childhood hero,” Mrs. indenbaum said. “I had pictures of Troy Aikman all over my room. I was a huge football fan, loved him, but that was a childhood thing. Now I would say my father is a huge inspiration to me. Because he is a real person who went to Bethpage High School, graduated here in 1975.”

The best advice any person ever gave Mrs.Indenbaum was her father: “My dad always told me if you have to do something do it to the best of your ability. Don’t regret anything because you did the very best you could.” Her family valued education above almost all else.

Part of being a teacher is having as best of a connection as you can with your students, and help them to rise to their full potential. This is something Mrs. Indenbaum wants: students excited to come to her class, her classroom to be where positive energy lives and everyone feels comfortable. If a student is struggling, she tells him, “Don’t give up. Don’t give up and to be proud of the little accomplishments along the way…I always try to tell my students to don’t look at the negatives and to just focus on the positives.”
That is the toughest—but most rewarding—part of her job, according to Mrs Indenbaum: helping struggling students.

She said, “When you get them to pass that test or the quiz, and they feel that sense of achievement, it gives me that sense of achievement.”

Mrs. Indenbaum is a great teacher we chose her because we wanted to learn more about her and have a sneak peek of her life outside of school. She is a great model to her children and especially to her students.

Here are some fun facts about Mrs. Indenbaum, not included above:

-Her favorite book is A Tale of Two Cities

-Her least favorite part about being a teacher is grading

She doesn’t like to read or watch anything serious; she prefers something light and funny

-She started teaching in ‘06, started dating in ‘07, got engaged in ‘08, and got married in ‘09

-She is afraid of spiders

-She has two younger sisters

-Her pet peeve is when people make excuses instead of taking responsibility