The Eagle’s Cry Attends the WELLNESS WALK

A great event with room to improve
@bethpageeaglescry

A huge thank you to the Bethpage Sources of Strength for organizing such an incredible mindfulness event!! #bethpage #wearebethpage #sourcesofstrength #mindfulness @BHS Sources of Strength

♬ original sound - A - A
Follow our TikTok @bethpageeaglescry!!
The Eagles Cry Attends the WELLNESS WALK

On May 22, 2024 at 2:30 p.m. BHS students took to the track for the first annual “Wellness Walk,” which aimed to promote good mental health and mental health awareness in BHS students. Kids were encouraged to attend with lawn games and raffles. 

Let’s start by establishing that it definitely was a fun event.

However, there are some things about the walk that can improve next year. For instance, the coffee and ice cream truck were charging students for food. According to Dr. Ricci’s email, the cost was “free,” and students were promised a waffle truck that never showed up. The only free things were the refreshing water to cool down participants and the prizes that participants won by answering questions about mental health.

In addition some students were frustrated by the raffle situation. One ticket per mile was called “absurd” by a student who wished to remain anonymous. Also, a student who wished to remain anonymous ran FOUR miles and got zero recognition for that dedication to mental health. There was much confusion whether the prizes were gifted to whoever ran the most, or if this event was intended to be a Walk-a-thon. 

In the end, the raffle winners won a frisbee, water bottles, and a basketball, all bearing the Sources of Strength logo.

This is not to say we are not thankful for the hard work put in by Dr. Ricci and the Sources crew. It was a fun event and The Eagle’s Cry reporters who were on hand had a good time—and the weather, according to Mr. Regiatiero, was “beautiful.”

Suggestions and Tweaks for next years walk:

• A dunk tank with Dr. Ricci and other teacher participants in it 
  • Carb-loaded snacks to help fuel the participants while they walk 
  • Healthier food options because they should be in line with the groups values of promoting a healthy lifestyle 
  • Stricter peer-leaders regarding briberies
  • Shirts for participants to show off in school the next day
  • Louder music through the football field speaker system
  • More games like hula hoops, jump rope, and SPOTKICK
  • More-accurate and clear advertising regarding prices

Overall, we appreciate the effort from Dr. Ricci and the Sources of Strength; it was a great event with room for improvement in following years.