The Eagle’s Cry Ranks The Top 5 Best Sports Teams of the 2023-2024 School Year

This past year featured three seasons that saw much success for Bethpage High School sports. From national championships for marine fitness to conference championships for softball teams all over the district were racking up wins. But which team was the best?

1. BHS Ice Hockey

• Ice hockey dominated this season. Going 21-3 in their entire season–from conference play all the way through to the states. They brought home a division championship, county championship, supervisor’s cup championship, and of course: the state championship. All-star defenseman Michael Sheahan put it simply: “Thumbs up.” However, next year looks to be problematic, since a huge number of players will graduate in June.

2. BHS Marine Fitness

• The marine fitness team went to nationals looking to win their 7th national championship in a row…and they did just that! The girls have set up a dynasty and look to continue this next year. Newly minted captain Nora Kerrigan explained, “We have a lot of talent coming up from the underclassmen who will definitely step up to the plate.”

3. BHS Softball

• Softball came into this season severely understaffed with just five upperclassmen on the roster but when Coach Joe Inghilterra made this roster, he had an interesting approach in mind. The team featured a shocking number of freshmen and sophomores and even a seventh grader. You read that right, a 7th grader! The softball team went 12 and 2 in league play, earning themselves the conference championship before being eliminated by Calhoun in the second round of the county playoffs. Junior catcher Julia Coscino explained how “…we played really well because we were a really close-knit team. County championship next year…”

4. BHS Track

• Track’s season was a great success by any measure, as they sent a number of athletes to counties and invitationals all season long.  Junior Jadyn Hsu came in third in the county championship meet for the 100 hurdles. Jadyn will be running in the state qualifiers for the 100 hurdles, the event for which she recently won all-division. She explained: “I worked really hard this season to get better with the help of Coach Kasin. I finally got down the three-step in-between hurdles, and that is a big reason for my success.” Other than that the team attended several invitational meets for their efforts this season. 

5. BHS Boys’ Lacrosse

• The lacrosse team, while not winning anything, made a significant playoff push this season before being bested by Wantagh in the second round at Hofstra. They finished 12-6 in league play this season. Leo Cataldo, a junior on the team, described the season: “We were all locked in and we stood together every step of the way. We knew the goals and we worked hard to accomplish them.”

Great job to all, and here’s to an even better 2024-2025!