BHS Discusses: Easter Traditions

Easter is a holiday that Christians celebrate that usually falls in the spring.

This year, Easter is this upcoming Sunday, March 31st, so let’s talk about some fun Easter traditions!

One of the most popular Easter traditions is dying eggs. Many kids dye eggs with pretty colors and fun designs as a fun activity on Easter. Ever wonder why we decorate eggs?

The early Christians of Mesopotamia began the custom of dyeing Easter eggs. Christian missionaries dyed the eggs different colors to represent different aspects of the Easter story.

They used yellow to represent the resurrection, blue to represent love and many others. Eva Neamonitis, a BHS junior, believes that “dyeing eggs on Easter is a fun way” to “express creativity” and the perfect way to “spend quality time with family and friends.”

Another Easter holiday tradition is an egg hunt. Easter egg hunts are done many different ways today. Some families hide money in the eggs and some hide candy.

Most egg hunts have a prize/gold egg that has a higher reward in it. Lauren Kachadourian, a junior at BHS, claimed that “Easter egg hunts are [her] favorite holiday tradition.” She enjoys “spending time with her family” and having a “fun competition” with her family. 

No Easter is complete without candy. Exchanging chocolates and other sweets during the holiday gained popularity in Europe during the mid-19th century, as companies developed methods for mass producing sweets in fancy holiday shapes and packages, like Cadbury eggs.

My personal favorite sweet on Easter is a chocolate shaped like a bunny. 

All of these traditions are such a fun way to celebrate this holiday with friends and family. Ultimately, many of these traditions have been around for a while and are still a good way to celebrate.