Bethpage Hockey Ready for States

Zach Zapata, Head Editor

After a tough loss to the Long Beach Marines in the first round to the playoffs, the Bethpage High School Varsity hockey team looks not to the past, but rather to the future as the state tournament begins March 3—just around the corner. After failing to earn a single win two seasons ago, the team fought back with a real impressive season last year. Although the Eagles lost in the playoffs, the team cannot wait for the state tournament, which they will be attending for the second time in three years. The team will travel back to Long Beach during the first weekend in March, ready to face off against the best in the state.

The hockey team got off to a great start this season, going 4-0 and taking first place in the beginning of the season. After a few tough losses, the Eagles found themselves sitting in fourth place, the final spot for playoffs and states, for the rest of the season. Of course they wanted first, but fourth place earned the Eagles nothing less than what they set out for—guaranteed a playoff spot and most importantly the state tournament.

As the season ended, the Eagles found themselves facing off against Long Beach—a team they’ve never beaten. Although they fought hard, the Marines took the game 5-3, and the Bethpage Hockey team took the long ride home from Long Beach, disheartened.

The hockey team will get the chance to avenge their loss against Long Beach, however, as they are in the same division for the state tournament. After attending states three years ago and again last year, the Golden Eagles are ready for another appearance. The state tournament will take place in Long Beach, and the Golden Eagles’ division will include teams from Long Island along with teams from upstate New York.

“I think we’re going to see a great performance by our team,” captain Leo Karapetyan explained. “From day one, we said we wanted to go to states, and now we’re going. I can’t wait.”

Ultimately, the Golden Eagles are ready to play their best hockey of the season. Led by coaches Jeff Schmeir and Chris Russo—as well as captains Leo Karapetyan and Gavin Hulser—Bethpage hockey will fight to win on the weekend of March 3.